5 years ago our Taalhuis started in the “buurthuis” at the Elandsgracht with 5 students learning Greek and 5 Greeks learning Dutch. Since that January we’re super happy we’ve grown in such numbers of languages, teachers and students and we would love to celebrate this with you!!
We have created a one-day festival with:
* Turkish coffee with delights by Melike
* A bit of French theater dialogues with Lucie
* Arabic Calligraphy with Walid and Farah
* Egyptian street language with Roel & friends
* Sing a Dutch song with our teacher Una (who also happens to be a professional jazz singer!)
* An Etruscan riddle with Diederik!
* Greek dances “Beyond Sirtaki” with one of the above mentioned first students and now member of the team, Christos!
* Tabouleh workshop with our student Yahia from Lebanon ( with shisha on the roof of our latest Taalhuis at the Nieuwezijs Voorburgwal if you like)
* Italian gnocchi with Emilia, Manuela and Paolo!
* Get rid of the Dunglish in your English with Alma
* Discuss Uruguayan politics with Alberto (with a glass of Argentinian wine)
* Join the very first Taalhuis pubquizz designed and hosted by Isabel and Michiel!
Please sign up by using the buttons below! (All the proceeds from this day will go to our program for refugees. )
Choose your level
Together with Melike we invite you to start this day with the social ritual called Turkish coffee!
Of course with baklava and other sweets.
Practice your French with theater plays. Un peu de drame ce matin!
Are you a native Dutch speaker and do you speak English at an intermediate or advanced level? You might be surprised to discover that some of the words or expressions you use every day are not quite English, but in fact Dunglish! Join this workshop to demystify the false friends between Dutch and English and have some fun at the same time!
When you come to Greece, of course you expect people dancing Sirtaki all over the place!
This is not true! And we will tear down this myth.
There are dozens of other traditional dances.
Join Christos' dancing class to know how Greeks really dance!
Una is our Dutch teacher and a professional singer! Today she will bring her beautiful voice and a guitar player to accompany you while you learn your first Dutch song!
Etruscan was the spoken and written language of ancient Italy, before the Romans, who spoke Latin. But Roma is an Etruscan word!
Come and learn all about it with Diederik today.
During our cooking class we will make and eat our own gnocchi, of course all in Italian :)
With Manuela and Emilia! Supervised by Manuela's husband and Italian chef Paolo :)
Phrases and jokes straight from the streets of Cairo!
With Roel & friends
Come and join Walid and learn Arabic calligraphy!
Yahia will share his cooking skills and teach you how to make Tabouleh! Then of course you can eat it, and have a glass of Lebanese wine with it!
Vamos a hablar about Pepe Mujica, president of Uruguay from 2010-2015, often described as "the world's 'humblest' president". (with Alberto)
Book your seat in the first Taalhuis Quiz!
We will turn the Taalhuis into a pub, where you can test your knowledge (about langauge of course) and have a drink and bite.
The winning team goes home with a Taalhuis- goodie-bag full of lovely Greek products, and a 20% discount for all team members on the course of their choice!
This ticket gives you an access to all our workshops in both locations during the day.