This course is the second part of the Level 1 (A1). You’ll work on the following subjects: – the demonstratives – nominal sentences – ‘to have’, ‘to want’, ‘to go’, ‘to like/to love’ – speaking about hobbies and free time – reserving and ordering in an Arabic restaurant. – time-related subjects in Arabic: telling the time, making appointments, checking schedules, and saying when something took place. The focus of this course is Levantine Arabic, however, the student is encouraged to understand both Levantine and Modern Standard Arabic. Active participation is required of the student in order to practice speaking in Levantine Arabic, and to play in-class interactive games.
Course Objectives: At the end of this course, you will achieve the equivalent of Level A1 of the “Common European Framework of Reference for Languages”. This means that you are able to:
• Understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type.
• Easily express yourself with the verbs ‘to have’, ‘to want’ and ‘to like/love’ in different daily situations.
• Interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly, and is prepared to help.
Pre-requisites for joining this class:
• Be able to (slowly) read the Arabic script and to spell words in Arabic.
• Be familiar with the “Possessive Form” , the “Demonstratives”, the Arabic numbers, and the time.
Homework: Reading, listening comprehension and writing exercises are provided as homework. The student can expect in average 3-4 hours of homework per week.
Start: 11 January 2023 - End: 5 April 2023
Holiday: 1 March